Monday, October 11, 2010

A Brief Interview with a Juggalo.

This was done with a juggalo acquaintance of mine named Baker. I was interested in getting a Juggalo's point of view, since they seem to be a hot button issue at the moment with the controversy surrounding the annual The Gathering of Juggalos. I've made it clear to him that I'm not a fan of Juggalos/Juggalo culture. He respects my point of view as long as I respect his, and he does a a decent job defending his favorite artists, though it's pretty much quoted verbatim from what ICP says in Interviews. I basically played total devil's advocate the entire time (which was natural because I am indeed on the other side of the fence as far as liking Juggalo shit is concerned.) On another note, Baker is an EXTREMELY good rapper, especially at freestyling. I think he could make a good name for himself in the Chicago Hip Hop scene if he focused his energy into positive channels.


#'s: What does being a juggalo mean to you?

Baker: It's being part of a family, not a gang or anything like that, a family of people who love the same music....anything considered Juggalo music....a lot of times any horror core.... though mostly Psychopathic Records artists like ICP, Twiztid, Blaze etc., also people on other labels who are respected in the underground like Tech 9ine and Kottonmouth Kings. When you go to the shows, it's not like any other kind of concerts, there's a magical feeling in the air. Being a juggalo to me is a tradition I've followed while growing up, and it's just being part of a family.

#'s: As I was saying earlier, there's a lot of people who don't really like ICP (to put it lightly), how would you respond to these critics?

Baker: I believe everybody has their own opinion. If you go around and say "Fuck ICP" and act immature like that, when I was younger I'd be like "Fuck you then". Growing up, most juggalos (true juggalos) would be like "Why"? If you have a good reason why you don't like ICP ,Psycopathic Artists, or juggalos in general, I'll respect your opinion....but if you go around and talk shit about it for no reason, then that's just very ignorant.

#'s: ICP has a lot of whacked out lyrics, how can you take a band seriously that talks about shoving soda bottles up their asses?

Baker: I've seen ICP many times, they're entertainers. They do it for shock value....they want to say things that will make your parents not like the record, they want to shock people. They don't want the mainstream or everyday people to like their shit, they just want their fans to love their shit, they don't care if anyone else does. They do it because they're entertainers and that's what they think is funny. It's not like juggalos actually go around shoving pop bottles up their ass at least I hope they don't, and if they do then that's their own thing. If you actually listen to the lyrics, they actually have a message, like if they say "I'm gonna chop his head off and put it on a shelf" or something, the person who's head is getting chopped off is usually someone they think has done wrong, like a child molester, rapists, wifebeaters etc.

#'s: So you say ICP is entertainment, do you find lyrics about necrophilia, hacking little kids to pieces etc. entertaining?

Baker: Yea well, there's just as many movies that have necrophilia in them, and ICP has never talked about killing kids in any of their lyrics. I think it's the same thing as a horror movie. it's just like going to a movie store and picking up a movie. If you don't want to watch a horror movie then don't rent it.

No comments:

Post a Comment