Monday, November 1, 2010

Rap Music in 2010

I used to be really into Rap/Hiphop when I was younger. I'd read The Source and XXL and check out the hungry new MC's on the scene. Back then even the mainstream stuff was fairly solid, you might've had a track geared towards more of a commercial audience, but the beat would still be dope and the hook good enough to get stuck in your head. Somewhere down the line, the new records that were coming out were getting increasingly wack, and slowly but surely the rap industry has dumbed itself down to depths seemed previously unthinkable which is about the time that I lost interest in keeping up with new faces in the Rap game. I've made some observations, and have come to the conclusion that 95% of new Rap joints that come out follow the formula of:

1. Colors or Combinations of Colors: ("Black and Yellow, Black and Yellow x infinity") ("My all-white ____") (My all-black ____")
This might've been ok if just one or two rappers made songs like this, but EVERY MOTHERFUCKER IN THE GAME has one. MC's....stop dick riding and come up with your own concepts instead of trying to emulate the lowest common denominator of radio friendly bullshit.

2. Independent Women: ("She got her own house, her own car....") (She got this.....she got that.....she makes her own money, pays her own bills etc.) Uggghhhhhh. Same thing as above, EVERY motherfucking rapper on the block has a song about Independent women doing independent things. Wow she has her own car and pays her own bills. That's a fucking revelation if I've ever heard one.

3. Retarded Duggy Dance Type Shit ("Teach me how to duggy, duggy duggy duggy blah blah blah") (Do the ________ (insert stupid dance) I can't believe people are getting rich off this shit. I have no problem with light-hearted party/pop music but they're really scraping the bottom of the retard barrel with all these new dances that come out every single week.

4. Marble Mouthed MC's ("Wa me doooooooooo") At least we know if someone suffers a traumatic brain injury they can still slur and drool their way into making #1 records. This is where the dumbing down really comes into play. These motherfuckers are somehow so lazy that they can't even pronounce a two-syllable word right and have to drool it out.

5. Cars ("In my Chevy, pop the trunk and I have a gun in my Chevy blah blah blahblahblah.") ("Beemer, Benz, or Bentley, pockets never empty.") Cool dude you have a Chevy. I'm impressed, REALLY impressed. It is absolutely amazing that you drive a Chevy. My life has become richer now that I've been made aware of this information. It was kind of cool when the Lost Boyz did it in the 90's, not so much anymore.

If you're sick of the way things are now, download this......

Jay-Z: Reasonable Doubt

.......and remember when rappers (like any other artist) cared about and honed their craft, putting everything they had into the album they were working on, instead of shitting out a label-approved, lame-ass, weak-ass record which is so full of filler the artist might as well have put out a single or an EP and scrapped the rest instead of tarnishing their careers with almost entirely forgettable LP's.

No comments:

Post a Comment