Friday, November 5, 2010

Chicago Hardcore Shows of the Past: Wisdom in Chains and Convicted at Doug's RockHouse in Aurora



This was a weird show. A bit of a drive from the city, but not too far. I live in a suburb that's right in the middle of both of them so this was convenient for me. I remember making the drive out to the show and meeting Klepper in the parking lot, who was already pretty drunk. (at least by Klepper standards). Upon walking in, I saw Shane Merill and a couple dudes from the Killer and went over to say what's up. I then paid the door fee, got my wristband, etc. The first couple bands were mediocre. It was basically just a hang out for me, chilling with the rest of my friends/"hardcore acquaintances" who made the drive out. Surprisingly there was a lot of kids there, a lot of Chicago kids in particular who made the drive out to Aurora which was cool. Even the Indiana contingent was there. I hung out in the bar for a bit and had a few drinks with Klepper.

To be honest, I don't really remember much of Convicted's set, probably because I went out to the car, smoked some killer buds and ended up getting blasted. Walking back up to the venue I saw my friend Jason, this pseudo skinhead dude who's a cool guy, but only comes out when Wisdom in Chains plays. Either them or Deals Gone Bad, which I always give him lots of shit for. So Wisdom in Chains starts playing. Pretty much everyone stuck around to watch them and there ended up being a good number of kids going off for them. I wasn't in much of a moshing kind of mood so I stood in the mid/back and watched the spectacle. They were playing all their good songs, the crowd was getting into it, etc. All of a sudden a scuffle breaks out between the singer of a well known Chicago Hardcore band and some other guy. I had to push the other guy off me and back into the fight because he got all in my shit. So I guess a bouncer ended up getting involved and getting beat up by said vocalist. I think WIC kept playing through all this with a few exhortations from Mad Joe Black (the vocalist of WIC) for people to calm down. Wisely, the victor of the altercation took off right away. I say wisely because a bunch of police showed up 5 minutes later and basically shut down the show. They were questioning everyone within reach and everyone kept their mouth shut....the way it should be. So yea, the show ended up getting shut down and I had to call it an early night. Still had a good time though. Wisdom in Chains always delivers the goods, even in half of a set.

No comments:

Post a Comment